Home Page


Home Learning

Parents and Carers- please click on the link to find activities and resources to support your child's home learning. Some of the activities are suggested to support children with SEND and also 'Virtual Museum' visits and advice on promoting independence and life-skills.


SEND Support Lessons

Additional support lessons are also available through the Oak National Academy by clicking on the link



Update to SEN information report in light of COVID-19.

The situation in which we find ourselves is fast-moving; as such, please note that this report is based on information available on 7.4.2020 and is subject to change.Please note that, as always ,we are keen to support the children of Ludworth and class teachers and Mrs Hankey (SENDCo) can be contacted for queries, information or just to keep in touch either via class pages or email (



What are the entitlements of children and young people with SEN when schools are closed due to Coronavirus?


All schools have been ordered to effectively close, retaining a skeleton staff to provide education for the children of key workers, and ‘vulnerable children.’


‘Vulnerable children’ include those who have a social worker and those with an Education Health Care Plan (EHC plan).The majority of children with SEN, who receive SEN Support at school but do not have an EHC plan, would be expected to stay home, if it is safe to do so, unless they have a social worker or a parent/carer who is a key worker. 


What does this mean for my child who has an EHC plan?

Government guidance published on 22nd March states:

We expect most children and young people with EHC plans will fall into the following categories:

  • children and young people who would be at significant risk if their education, health and care provision and placement did not continue, namely those who could not safely be supported at home. This may include those with profound and multiple learning difficulties, and those receiving significant levels of personal care support. 
  • children and young people whose needs can be met at home, namely those who are not receiving personal care from their educational setting, or whose limited need for personal care can be met in their family home.

On 24 March 2020, the Minister for Children and Families, Vicky Ford, wrote an open letter to children and young people with SEN, their parents/carers and families, and all others who support them. In this letter, the Minister makes clear that:

  • “[…] nurseries, schools, special schools, colleges and other training providers should undertake a risk assessment to establish the individual needs of each child or young person with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. This assessment should incorporate the views of the child or young person and their parents. This will inform the decision about whether they should continue in school or college, or whether their needs can be met at home safely.
  • If needs are best met at schools or colleges, we will support their school or college to meet their needs, wherever possible. For those on SEN support, schools, colleges and local authorities have discretion to use the same risk judgement to decide whether home or school is the safest setting for these children. It is, however, important that as many children as possible remain at home during this time in order to help reduce transmission rates.”


In addition to the risk assessments noted above  (to be carried out by schools), all families with children who attend Stockport schools and have an EHC plan will have received a welfare phone call from Stockport LA SEND team by 17thApril. These calls are to check that families can access appropriate help and advice during the Covid-19 situation and to ensure that any risks to a child or young person’s health, wellbeing or safety if they do not receive a particular provision or intervention, are addressed. 



My child has an EHC plan - do I have to send them in to school?


Despite schools staying open for some children, the guidance is quite clear: If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be.


Under the Coronavirus Act, the criminal penalty for parents failing to send their children to school will be temporarily dis-applied. (N.B. At the time of writing, the Secretary of State has not yet officially made the order under the Coronavirus Act ordering schools to close and thereby dis-applying the criminal penalty, but we anticipate this will happen very soon.)



My child has an EHC plan - does the local authority still have a legal duty to deliver provision?


From a legal perspective this remains the case. However, given the likely significant disruption to staffing, it may be very difficult for schools or local authorities to deliver the precise provision in the EHC plan over the next few weeks. The Government has just passed the Coronavirus Act 2020 which contains two key amendments to the law:

  • The absolute duty to make the provision in an EHC plan (section 42 of the Children and Families Act 2014) has been temporarily amended to a lesser duty to use ‘reasonable endeavours’.  This means that during the specified period the LA needs to do whatever it reasonably can to put provision in place, but if they cannot do so, they would not necessarily be breaching the law
  • The duty on schools to admit a child where the EHC plan names that school (section 43 of the Children and Families Act 2014) can be temporarily dis- applied.

As a school, we will continue to keep in touch with you. In the meantime, as parents/carers please contact us if you have any enquiries about the provision for your child including how we can help with any therapy plans for your child. Please contact Mrs N Hankey

Again, if there could be a risk to your child or young person’s health, wellbeing or safety if they do not receive a particular provision or intervention, please raise this with us without delay.

My child has an EHC plan and was due to have an annual review. What will happen now?

Under the Coronavirus Act, the requirement to carry out annual reviews can also be temporarily disapplied where this is considered to be “appropriate and proportionate”. (The order bringing this into effect has not yet been made but we expect it to happen imminently.)

However, currently schools will continue to hold annual reviews if at all possible. This will of course need to be carried out remotely and we will speak to you first about how this will be managed to ensure that the contribution of parents and children/young people continue to be at the heart of the process. 

A request for statutory assessment has been sent in for my child - do the LA still need to carry out EHC needs assessments?

Although the Minister’s open letter suggests that the government will be seeking to amend regulations on the timescales for EHC plan processes where this is appropriate because of COVID-19 as yet, no order has been passed to this effect. 

Stockport LA will continue to carry out any EHC needs assessments. On a practical basis, the LA’s ability to comply with deadlines may be occasionally hampered by staff absence and the way EHC needs assessments are conducted may be affected by the availability of staff and restrictions on face to face contact and working from home.  However, Stockport LA will endeavour to continue to fulfil statutory duties; we can obtain information and advice and conduct virtual meetings; as such decisions about whether or not to assess will continue to be made as far as is reasonably possible.


My child has an EHC plan and is still attending school - how will my child’s learning be supported at school? 

It is important to note the school will not be providing a full curriculum; they will be providing care for the children and incorporating education provision and a range of activities, but this will NOT be fully in line with a child’s EHC provision. 



How can I support my child’s learning at home? 

    If your child has an identified SEN (EHCP or SEN Support), the class teacher will take account of their needs when planning for and providing work to be completed at home. This may include:

  • suggesting different ways in which children can present their work; 
  • giving more detailed instructions;
  • providing parents with suggestions to make tasks more practical in nature;
  • providing alternative work which is targeted at their level of need where they may not ordinarily access curriculum subjects at age expected levels.

School has a number of resources available to help you support your child at home during this period. Please contact your child’s classteacher or SENDCo Mrs Hankey via

There are also some helpful resources on Stockport’s local offer:

How can I help my child cope with the changes?

We understand that this is a significant change for many families. Please give yourself time to adjust to this new routine and above all, do not place too much pressure on yourself or your child to complete schoolwork. Maintaining positive mental health and emotional wellbeing is very important. There are some helpful resources on Stockport’s local offer:

How long are schools likely be closed?

At this stage no-one is able to say exactly how long schools will stay closed, though it seems clear it’s more likely to be a matter of months rather than weeks, depending on how the pandemic progresses. Mr Williamson told MPs he would be “guided by scientific and medical advice” on reopening. 

What plans will be made for re-integration and transition to new classes/schools?

We know that any transitions, especially for many of our children with SEN, can be stressful and needs to be well planned, in advance, and should not be introduced abruptly. We understand that re-integration back in to school and/or transition to a new class or school is going to be made even more challenging following the current situation. Furthermore, we know that children’s reactions to returning to school will vary greatly and some children will need much more additional support. 

As such, our aim is to plan carefully for transition and reintegration and work closely with you as parents/carers to help prepare your child/children and guide them through these transitions carefully. The Local Authority are currently planning guidelines and processes which we will then adapt for our school and to meet the needs of your child. Once these guidelines are agreed, we will be in touch with all parents/carers, including discussing any bespoke planning for individuals. As such, although we can’t tell you what the plans for transition will look like just yet, advice will be available from the LA by the end of April and as a school, we will then be in touch to begin the planning process with you as parents/carers.

Who can I contact?

We realise that these are difficult times for everyone.  If you have any concerns or queries please contact Mrs Hankey


Helpline for families   The ‘COVID-19 Stockport Community Helpline’ will help people most in need - who do not have friends or family to support them – to access key services that will help keep them safe and well by calling 0161 217 6046, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm and on Saturdays from 10am to 4pm.

SHOUT service is a mental health service available 24hrs/7 days a week. Text GMStockport to 85258


Useful local links:

Stockport Local Offer:

PACTS (parents and carers together Stockport):


Further useful information

The Council for Disabled Children (CDC) has launched two new email inboxes aimed to answer questions, collate resources and share information on Coronavirus and the impact on children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). They are designed to be used by professionals, practitioners, parent carers and families of children and young people with SEND.

The new ‘CDC questions’ inbox, , provides the opportunity to ask questions about how coronavirus will impact on children and young people with SEND as well as other questions relating to the impact on families; the education, health, social care sectors; and the voluntary and community sector. The CDC will collate Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and share them with the Department for Education and Ministers as appropriate, in order to publish an FAQs newsflash each Friday. 

The ‘CDC resources’ inbox,, is designed to enable parent carers, sector professionals and practitioners to share resources, to support families of children and young people with SEND and practitioners across the disabled children’s sector. The CDC will add these resources to their COVID-19 Support and Guidance webpage:

Stockport's Entitlement Framework will help everyone to work together for the best possible outcomes for our children with SEND.

At Ludworth Primary School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school. In order to do this many steps are taken to support them through their learning journey.


Quality teaching is vital; however for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.  This may be an indication of a special educational need, or may be a short term need.


The SEN Code of Practice 2014 defines Special Educational Needs as follows:

“A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning that the majority of others the same age, or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.”


At Ludworth the Special Needs Co-ordinator is Mrs Nicola Hankey (NPQH,NaSENCo)



SEND Information and Report 


What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer is a description of all the services available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families.  This information should set out what is normally available in schools to help children with SEN as well as highlighting what support is available for families who need additional help to support children with more complex needs.

What Stockport’s Local Offer will do?

Stockport’s Local Offer will provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in Stockport and what they can expect from those services.  With regard to education, it will let parents/carers and young people know how schools and colleges will support them, and what they can expect in the local settings. 


You can access the Stockport  SEN site and see details of their Offer by following this link


The Stockport School Offer Development Group has considered a range of concerns and interests that parents/carers may have in considering how well a particular educational setting can support their child’s needs.  These concerns and interests have given rise to a set of commonly asked questions, which schools within Stockport should address as part of their School Offer.

Below are Ludworth Primary School’s responses to these questions and please also see the Ludworth SEND policy at the top of this page.


How does Ludworth Primary School know when a child needs extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • Limited progress is being made
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress the initial point of contact is your child’s class teacher.  You can also contact the SENDCO, Mrs Nicola Hankey (NPQH, NaSENCo)  on 0161 427 1446

Please also follow the link above to our SEND Policy for further details.


How will I share information with the school about my child’s needs?

If you are considering Ludworth as your child’s school you can contact the Headteacher / SENCO to discuss your child’s needs and to hear about the provision we offer. 


If your child is due to start Ludworth, we would arrange a meeting between you and any relevant school staff to discuss how we plan to meet your child’s needs and share information.  Where necessary we will arrange additional transition visits prior to starting full time.

If needs arise during your child’s education at Ludworth, the initial point of contact would be your child’s teacher.


We will always share information about the support your child is receiving in school and welcome your input in reviewing your child’s progress.  We offer an open door policy and teachers are available daily to discuss your child’s needs, although an appointment offers a more appropriate designated time to devote to your child.


How does Ludworth support a child with SEN?

Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher.  It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs.  This may include additional general support by the class teacher or by a teaching assistant in class.Educational visits enhance learning for everyone.


If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy or literacy skills then the pupil may be taught in a small group.  This will be run by a teacher or a teaching assistant.  The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need, but will generally be for a term.  These interventions will be recorded on a class provision map.  If you have any queries about the intervention please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO.


Occasionally, a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency, such as Speech and Language Therapy or Occupational Therapy.  A referral will be made, with your consent and sent to the relevant service.  After further assessments, a programme of support may be given to the school and parents/carers.


How are the governors involved and what is their responsibility?

The governors of Ludworth Primary School ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way.  The monitor and review statutory policies as defined by the Department for Education.  Ludworth has a designated governor for SEN who oversees the work of the SENCO and staff and ensures that the provision set out in the SEN Policy is being carried out. Additionally the governors receive an annual report from the SENCO about how the provision for children with Special Educational Needs.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All teachers at Ludworth match the curriculum to the needs of the individuals in their classes.  The children are taught from their own starting points and set individual targets.


When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.


Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with a pupil in a 1:1 or small group to target more specific needs.


If a child has been identified as having a special need parents and staff will work together to create a  SEN Support Plan.  Targets will be mutually agreed and monitored by the class teacher in liaison with parents who will be given a copy of the plan.


How can I work with Ludworth to support my child’s learning?  

You can work with us by:

  • reading at home regularly – listening to your child and reading to them
  • supporting any additional activities that are sent home, either by school or other agencies
  • sharing information about your child’s strengths and areas for development
  • attending any parents information evenings or progress meetings that are held in school
  • contributing to your child’s IEP
  • being positive with your child and recognising the small steps of progress they make


How do the teachers know how well my child is doing?

The interventions provided on the class provision map will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning. 


Learning Reviews are held each term.  This is a meeting where the class teachers meet with the Headteacher to discuss progress of pupils in their class.  This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems and allow for further support to be planned. On a daily basis, teachers at Ludworth continually review the teaching and learning in the classroom and plan accordingly. On some occasions more formal assessments may be carried out to ascertain how much progress has been made and to inform the next steps in planning for your child. (Such assessment may include reading or spelling age assessments or Bright Maths assessments)  Your child’s teacher will explain any assessments they have used with your child.


What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

The school offers a variety of pastoral support for children who are experiencing emotional difficulties.

These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher and TAs who are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns
  • Nurture group sessions
  • Social, Communication groups sessions
  • A member of staff trained in dealing with grief
  • Dyslexia in the Open sessions (where appropriate)
  • Playtime and lunchtime clubs for those who find these times challenging
  • Access to Outdoor Learning sessions (again where deemed appropriate)

How does the school manage the administering of medicines?

If a pupil has a medical need, then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nursing team and in consultation with parents/carers.  These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.


Staff receive regular Epipen training delivered by the school nurse, although named staff are responsible for specific children.

Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.

There is a team of trained First Aiders in school at all times.


What is the support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusions and increasing attendance?

Ludworth has a set of positive Golden Rules to which all children work towards.  These are taught in the Reception year and continually revisited and reinforced. The children are also rewarded for exemplary behaviour through our Lighthouse  Leadership awards.

In addition the school is supported by the Behaviour Support Service, a member of which is in school weekly.  The Behaviour Support Teacher (BST) is available to advise staff on behavioural needs, observe children in class and work with children individually or in small groups.  If we are accessing the support of this service for your child we will inform you.  Where individual work is felt appropriate for a pupil we will ask for parental consent.


The Inclusion Service also provides support with creating individual provision plans for children who are struggling to access the curriculum for a wide variety of reasons (including behavioural needs).  They can help us to plan a curriculum and timetable that enables pupils to be more successful in Ludworth. Both these services will provide support for families, pupils and the school if a pupil is at risk of exclusion.


Where there are attendance concerns the Education Welfare Officer will work with schools and families to support improved attendance.


How will my child be able to contribute their views?

Where appropriate to the child, they will be asked to contribute ideas about what they feel is working or otherwise when individual plans are reviewed termly.  Their views may be gathered in an informal discussion with the child and from parental contributions.  Pupils may be asked; what’s working, what do you like, what do you want to stop (within reason!)?

The children at Ludworth are regularly involved with setting challenges for themselves and evaluating their own progress and so for a pupil with special needs there will be an extension of this process.


Is there a range of services the school can liaise with?

There are a wide range of services available to provide teachers with more specialised expertise.  The main agencies used by the school are:

  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)
  • Occupational Therapy (OT)
  • Sensory Support Service (SSS)- to support pupils with hearing/visual impairment
  • Behaviour Support Service (BSS)
  • Educational Psychology (EP)
  • Inclusion Team
  • Child& Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Autism Team
  • School Nurse

There may be other services used dependent on the specific needs of a pupil.


How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom?

Ludworth is a fully inclusive school and we will always do our best to ensure that all children can take part in all activities within school.  Activities may be adapted or extra support provided to ensure that all children can participate.  Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to allow all children to participate.  Parents will be asked to contribute to discussions about how best to support their child in these activities. If it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during an activity.


How accessible is the school environment?

Ludworth Primary School is fully accessible to anyone with physical needs including full wheelchair access.  We also have 2 disabled toilet facilities. As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.


How will the school prepare my child for joining the school and transferring to a new school?

Prior to entry, we will arrange additional visits and taster sessions to Ludworth to familiarise your child with the environment and the staff who will be working with them.  We will also help to create a book all about the school, their classroom and the teachers who will support them.  This book can then be talked about at home prior to starting school in September. Staff from Ludworth will also meet with you and any Nursery staff to discuss your child’s needs and help to plan for a smooth, successful transition.


For children who find change a challenge we also organise transition sessions at the end of an academic year in preparation for a change of teacher and classroom.  These involve talking about how things will change, how things will stay the same as well visiting and photographing new classrooms and teachers.  Again a transition book may be created to share at home and try to alleviate any anxieties. All children in the school have a “class swap” session where they meet their new class teacher.


When children transfer to a new school, information about their educational needs is always shared with the receiving school and records passed on.  At the end of Year 6 staff from the receiving secondary school will visit the pupils at Ludworth and talk to them and their teachers about their individual strengths and needs. Extra transition work may be carried out by school staff or the Behaviour Support Service teacher to support those children who are more vulnerable at transition time.  Additional visits to the secondary school may be arranged if necessary


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to the needs of an SEN child?

The SEN budget is allocated each financial year.  The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs. Support can take many forms and our guiding principal is providing the highest quality education to all children.  We want the best for our pupils just as you want the best for your child.

Support may include (but is not restricted to):

  • 1:1 teaching sessions
  • Small group teaching
  • Additional teaching resources or practical apparatus
  • Teaching others in small groups to allow your child to be taught in a smaller group by the class teacher
  • Accessing additional support from specialists
  • Additional support will be discussed with parents and the aim of the support explained


How are decisions made about the type and level of support my child will need?

The type and level of support will be discussed with parents and at tracking meetings in school.  We hope to work in partnership with parents to achieve the best possible outcomes for all our pupils.


How will I know if the provision has had an impact on my child’s development?

The provision and its impact will be shared with you at termly meetings.  The Autumn term and Spring term meetings can be combined with the school’s parents evenings, although a longer appointment will be made.  You can always make an appointment to discuss your child’s progress at other times of the year by contacting your child’s class teacher and/or the SENCO.  Your own views of your child’s progress are very important to us, as some small steps of progress may not be measured easily but are noticeable to you.


Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs prior to starting Ludworth, please contact the school office on 0161 427 1446 to make an appointment with the SENDCO-Mrs Nicola Hankey (NPQH, NaSENCo)


If your child is at Ludworth, the first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher.  If you have further questions or are unhappy about something, please contact the SENDCo.


If your require information about the services available to young people and families in Stockport please refer to the Stockport Local Offer

We hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any further questions.

Who can I contact for further information?

*The first point of contact is your child’s class teacher. Please speak to them at the beginning or end of the school day, or phone the school office, (0161 427 1446) to arrange a mutually convenient time to meet.

*Your next point of contact is the SEND Coordinator  (Mrs Nicola Hankey) or Head Teacher (Mrs Victoria walker). Appointments can be made via the school office (0161 427 1446).

*If you have a complaint regarding the provision made at school for your child, please contact the Head Teacher, Mrs Victoria Walker, in the first instance.

*If your child is not currently at our school but you are considering sending your child here and you have questions relating to SEND, please contact our SEND Coordinator, Mrs Nicola Hankey

*The Information, Advice and Support Service is an organisation which supports parents / carers of pupils with SEND.
Contact details:
Stockport Voluntary Action Youth, Woodbank Youth Centre, Turncroft Lane, Offerton, Stockport, SK1 4BN
Tel: 0161 480 3189

Click for an information leaflet
Parents in Partnership is a voluntary group for parents and carers who children in Stockport with disabilities or additional needs.
Contact details:
Tel: 07786 101072

Information about support and services available from Stockport Local Authority can be found at or
There is a link to Stockport's Local Offer at the top of this page.